Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Better Late than Never

Today I'm getting to my blog later than I initially planned, but I want you to know that I've been thinking about what I wanted to write all day.

Often, the ideas are swimming inside me and all I need is a minute or two to get them down on paper.

Do you ever feel like that?

My newest book, still in construction, was mostly written through the years; only recently have the words come through my fingers and onto the screen of my favorite laptop. It's amazing really, how my experiences through the years have finally come together to create a book.

That's why it's important to keep learning and to keep writing, even if the moments are short lived like this one, because like that box of chocolates, "you never know what you're gonna get."

I love the thought that experiences may, at one time or another, translate into a book. I know of authors who keep a notebook in their purse or inside the glove box of their car. Whenever a great idea, a great experience, a great anything comes to them, they record it in this little notebook. The really organized ones take the notes they record in their notebook and organize them into categories like, "Great Dialogue," or "Funny Experiences," or "Beautiful Settings." When they decide to write a book they pull out their notes for great ideas.

Great ideas, the best ideas, come from life; how you live it, how you experience it, and how you choose to share it with others. You may turn a perfectly true story into something with a bit of fiction added or vice-versa. You may find a great title for your first story from an experience you had while cooking up your favorite recipe, or eating your favorite doughnut.

And you may find that your life really means something after all. Because it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.