Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Rejection Slips Revisited

It's another day of writing. Have you ever considered what your life would be without it?

When I have moments when I think I have nothing to share, or nothing valuable enough to share I remember the successes in my life already obtained and the constructive criticism I have received.

Before I sold my first article, I successfully wrote every day. After my first sale I was even more motivated to write every day. When I received my first rejection slip, some 8 years before my first sale, I was offered an opportunity to continue with my craft--or quit. Every rejection slip after that (and I'm still getting them) gives me the opportunity to reevaluate what I love; and what I love is writing!

Quit? No way! There is too much to learn, too much to offer. I have often called writing free therapy and it is! I can write what I need to get out and get on with life. God is the best listener on the planet anyway and I can write to him and he will listen. There's nothing better than a coach who never takes a nap.

Don't let rejection slips get in the way of your life as a writer. Use each and every paper as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Save them if you want. I know of a writer who has saved every rejection slip she's ever received and has laminated them. You should see the long roll! She rolls it out when she gives a speech so that other writers can see that even though she has written and published multiple books, she has also received many rejection letters.

These rejection letters have done her some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.