Monday, December 3, 2012

Interview with Author Dawn Tevy

Interviewing is a great way to get into the head and heart of a writer.

In this, my first interview, I talk with Dawn Tevy, author of Angels and Warriors. 

If you're an author working on your first book, you'll be particularly interested in Tevy's journey.

1. Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?
Actually, I decided to try my hand at writing after finishing all 4 Twilight books in just 5 days. I knew Stephenie’s back-story and wondered what I could write if I gave it a try. My only intention was to write a little story for ME. I just sat down one day and started writing. One month later I had over 250 pages written and the rest is history.

2. How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?
Radio playing and locked in my office. Laptop.
3. What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?
Favorite: The actual writing portion. I don’t know what my story is about until I sit down to write. I have a general idea, but never the whole picture. I may know that an explanation is going to be revealed or a new character is going to be introduced. Until I start writing the scene I have no idea of the entire explanation or the character’s personality….it is a LOT of fun as it all comes together. Least favorite:  hmmm, punctuation/editing.
4. Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.
Book two of the Angels and Warriors series is well underway. It starts where book one; The Awakening left off. I am also working on a collaborative non-fiction project about my life.
5. How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?
I may know that a new character is going to be introduced, but until I start writing the scene I have no idea of the character’s personality or exactly where the story will take them. It is a LOT of fun as it all comes together. The characters in Angels and Warriors are as different from each other as real people differ from each other…my book has something for everyone as far as personality types! For example, the lead character is a strong female. She is not a girly-girl, but she’s not a tomboy. She can put a man in his place in a lady-like way.
6. What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?
My website really contains it all. Everything I’m involved in (and there’s a lot) is there. Actually there are two of them:  angelsandwarriors.com and .org. I also do interviews and blogging. Plus I have my own radio show. Another thing I ‘m going to be doing is participating at various conventions. Contests for free “giveaways” are also a great way to let people know you’re there.
7. How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?
I either feel it or I don’t. Some people sit down to write every day, but for me I have to ‘feel it’. If not I just get frustrated. If I’m on the fence I will sit down and read the last scene I wrote, if it flows from there I will start writing, if I have to force it I will just let it go until I’m ready.
8. What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?
You’ll never know if you don’t try. Live your passion and change the world. 
To learn more about Dawn you can find her at:
Follow her on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/dawntevy
Become a friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DawnTevy

The Awakening

Authored by Dawn Tevy
 
In the novel, 'Angels and Warriors, The Awakening,' author Dawn Tevy introduces you to characters that are funny, loving, and artfully scheming...

Our heroin, Lady Tynae, finds herself in a precarious situation when she is hunted down by those she most trusts. In a single heartbeat her fairly simple life becomes incredibly complicated.

Finding herself in a new world full of magic, dragons, and an old friend, Tynae soon discovers nothing in her life was ever as it appeared.

The vivid scenes and descriptive dialogue will transport you to another place. This spectacular fantasy world is set in a time and land that has slowly faded into the haziness of legend and lore.

Between discovering her new world and falling in love, Tynae must uncover what lies at her very core. She is accomplished with swords, an expert marksman, and she even knows how to bring a full grown man to his knees...but is she the 'Chosen One'?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.