Friday, December 28, 2012

When It Just Keeps Snowing

I don't know about you, but the last few days has included multiple driveway shovelings. The driveway is cleared, and I breathe a sigh of relief, only to look out the window a few minutes later and see it snowing again.

Yes, another snow shoveling today means more workout for the bod and plenty of muscles moaning in surprise. I just don't know how I'm going to gear up for another removal, but I will.

Photo by: pmsyyz, courtesy of Flickr
For those of you who haven't been to my house, the driveway is steep enough that without a sufficient clearing, the car merely slides down when you're trying to drive up. I hate to say it but my husband and I have had many episodes where we've have to race the car up the driveway from the main street just to make it up to the top.

What does this have to do with writing?

Well, let me tell you.

Sometimes in the feverishness of trying to get our writing work finished and out to the public, we don't take time to clear the driveway; i.e. to do our homework, so to speak. This homework always includes editing.

I am the first one to admit that I've published my books with errors in them. And this is after I've had my work edited. What I've learned is that it's better to let your work sit for a few days, even a month, and then to go back to the edited version of your manuscript before calling it good. Your manuscript might make it 3/4 the way up the driveway, only to return to the starting point with some readers because of some missed errors.

Photo by Jake Sutton, courtesy of Flickr
And it will happen, even with a good editor or editors.

If you're like me, you'll never give up with your writing even after you've made a few mistakes. And keeping up without giving up is a bit like snow too, I think.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.