Saturday, January 19, 2013

Are You a Prepper?

Years ago I became a Pepper. Dr. Pepper was my drink of the day and I loved it. But through the years I discovered some things about Dr. Pepper and my health. It felt pretty good going down, but the after effects were less than desirable. I was bloated, tired and felt as if I needed another Dr. to get me moving again.

I have been off the caffeine trip since August of last year, and I need to tell you I'm doing much better. No doctor necessary. But I have to tell you, I still want that one sip, that one time where I can go out to lunch or dinner and have my favorite drink.

But I haven't done it. I am thinking of my future after all. I want to feel good as much of the time as possible and Dr. Pepper just doesn't do it for me.

So what is a Prepper? you ask.

Photo by: Mullica, courtesy of Flickr
A prepper is usually someone who stocks up on food storage for the end, or maybe not even the end, but the surprising end of a paycheck as they know it, at least for a time. These preppers prepare water, food, toiletries, 24 hour kits, clothes, and on and on.

Why?

So they can be prepared.

I like this kind of prepper. It make me think of a writer who does all he/she can do to learn the skills of writing. He/she may have a natural born talent, but this natural God given gift must be honed for greater things. And these greater things called publishing and marketing and selling come only after much preparation. Your preparation might include:
  • Taking a class
  • Joining a writer's group
  • Attending a writer's conference
  • Checking out books at the library and practically devouring them
  • Getting mentored by another writer
  • Mentoring a writer
  • Saving your rejection slips and paying special attention to the hand written notes occasionally found in the margins
  • Taking feedback and criticism
  • Rewriting
  • Being patient
  • Working hard
Being a Prepper when it comes to writing takes guts. Even after you're published, the end is still not clear and you may find yourself groping for new answers to questions that can only be solved by continually moving forward and continuing to learn.

Are you a Prepper?







1 comment:

  1. The ultimate challenge is trying to sell all those self published books you ordered that are sitting on your book shelves or in closets...lol! I have FHE for Empty Nesters and Singles only $10 if interested or $5.99 as e-book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.