Monday, January 21, 2013

Favorite Quotes by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today I thought it quite appropriate to share with you some of my favorite quotes by Martin Luther King, Jr.

I remember the day I sat in one of my college classes and I viewed the "I Have a Dream" speech. I was inspired! I felt as if life presented so many great opportunities; my part was overcoming the barriers that hampered my dreams.

Photo by Vince Alongi, courtesy of Flickr
As a writer, I hope you see the wisdom and vision in the "Dream" speech. I hope you realize what we, as writers, can accomplish through Faith, Freedom and Hope. Let's grab hold of the American dream and run with it!

"Faith is making the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence."

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."

And finally...
Photo by Tony Fischer Photography, courtesy of Flicker
"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.