Monday, June 23, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Teri Harman

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

Hi. I’m Teri Harman – author, book columnist and blogger, book TV segment host, mom of three and book addict. I’ve written my whole life. At four I dictated a story about a cow to my mom who typed it up on her electric typewriter. I’ve been fascinated by the creation of stories ever since. I took writing and English classes all through school and college, but didn’t seriously begin pursuit of authorhood until about seven years ago after our first child was born.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?


I write at a small wooden desk, handmade by my husband, in our bedroom. I write on a MacBook Air hooked up to a monitor and keyboard. I need the clack of keys to get my writing blood flowing.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part is finally solving a plot or character problem that I've wrestled with for a while. Finding just the right thing to do in the story is such a feeling of triumph. Least favorite – pushing through that middle part. Most writers will say the same thing. Stories flow really well in the beginning and the end, but those pesky middles . . .

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Some stories start with characters for me, others start with an idea and I build the necessary characters. I want my characters to be real and authentic, even if they live in a magical world. 
Purchase Blood Moon

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I have a blog, a regular book column on ksl.com, and do regular book related segments for KSL’s popular lifestyle show, “Studio 5 with Brooke Walker.” I’m also active on the big social networks – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. But I find the best marketing is the face-to-face stuff – conferences, book signings, book events. Connecting with readers is the best way to build loyalty.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I have three young kids – 8, 6, 4. So I write when I can. Some days are easier than others. But my kids have gotten really good at playing and staying busy while I work, so I’m usually able to get in 4-6 hours of work a day. And my husband is really great at stepping in when I need more time.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m working on the third book of the Moonlight Trilogy, STORM MOON, which comes out next fall. Book 2, BLACK MOON, comes out September 16, 2014. I also have a stand alone upmarket romantic fantasy, A PAINTED LIFE, coming out late spring/summer 2015.


Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have lots of ideas ready to go! As soon as I’m done with my trilogy I think I’ll explore one that involves a set of antique typewriters.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Getting published requires three things: Persistence, Patience, Hard Work. This is not an easy business. Even after you’re published there are difficulties, disappointments, and struggles. If it’s not your true passion those things will defeat you. Talent can be improved, found, learned, but discipline is what really counts.  

* * *
Learn more about Teri at:  teriharman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.