Monday, July 14, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Adrienne Monson

     Another author interview I hope you enjoy!

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I've been a voracious reader since I was nine. All the reading helped my imagination go to wild places in my head. I wrote a little while I was young, but didn't do anything serious about it until I quit my career to be a stay-at-home-mom.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I usually write at home after my kids have gone to bed. I NEVER write freehand (if anyone has a signed book from me, they know how bad my handwriting is!). I also go to a writers retreat once a year and get months of writing accomplished in those three days.

2   What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Seeing other people get excited about my stories. It’s fun to talk to someone who acts like my characters are real people whom they love!

My least favorite part is when I have to delete scenes that I've worked really hard on. I know I have to take it out, but I’m sad that portion of the story doesn't get to come to life.



       How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

While I’m a plot oriented writer, I think the characters are more important than anything else. They need to be so real that the readers love them, even when characters make mistakes. I dive into my character’s brains so deeply that I have up to 20 pages of their bio in my notes. Hopefully, this carries into the portrayal of those characters in my stories.

    What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

That’s hard to answer, since there’s so many things! A lot of internet marketing, especially through social networks. I do book signings, which are my favorite because it’s so fun to meet readers! The list goes on, but those are the basic ones.

     How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I have young kids with early bedtimes. So I put them to bed at eight, and then write for three hours. I take nights off on the weekends to spend time with my husband. I also have a small laptop that I can fit in my purse. If there’s a lull while I’m out and about, I’ll pull it out and write. My goal is to get in at least three hours a day, however I can fit it in.

6   What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m just finishing edits for a novella called Eyes of Persuasion. It’s a genre mash-up of paranormal/historical romance. It comes out in September and, based on feedback from my BETA readers, I’m really excited about it!

7   Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

After this novella is published, I’ll put all my focus into polishing book three of the Blood Inheritance Trilogy. (Book two is completed and slated for release in February 2015) But I have plenty more ideas that are vying for my attention. I keep telling them to wait for just a little longer. J



    What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?


Practice develops your talent. Keep writing! The more you write, the better you’ll get. Keep reading, and go to writers conferences. They have so many classes and panels that will help you hone your skill. Even published authors continue to get better with each book that they write. So, don’t give up!

***

Thank you Adrienne!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.