Monday, August 11, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Heidi Peltier

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I always thought it would be awesome to write children’s books based around Texas history.  That idea swam in my head for a lot of years.  When my older son was a baby, I started working on some story ideas.  One day, out of the clear blue, a full novel just fell into my head.  I never intended to write a novel.  I never thought I could come up with a story that long.  But sure enough, there it was. And every book I've written since then has done that same falling-into-my-head business.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I prefer using the computer.  I tried the first book with pen and paper, but once I filled half a spiral notebook, I realized I needed to go digital.  My preferred writing location is in my bed.  I have about 6 pillows that I position all around me, and my loyal writing companion, Odie (our Shih Tzu) lays at my feet.  He has been there for every word I've written.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part about writing is FINALLY getting all the ideas out of my head.  They jumble up in there and pound on my brain until I finally free them!  My least favorite part is when those lovely ideas don’t fully form – or form with gaps between them.  That’s when I have to really work.


How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Most of my characters are based on some personality trait of myself or someone close to me.  It’s a little disconcerting to know I have so many different personalities in my head, but as an author, it’s pretty useful!  I think readers might want to get to know my characters because they are based on something real. They are genuine and relatable.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I have a website that I use for not only announcing releases and posting links to buy books but also for sharing little behind the scenes tidbits about the stories I write.  There’s a whole “behind the scenes” page!  I also have a facebook page, a twitter account, a tumblr account, a Goodreads account.  I have made many author friends, and we cross-promote.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

It’s tough.  I have two rambunctious sons who demand a lot of my time especially when there are sports going on.  Most of my writing happens when my husband takes the boys on a weekend camping trip or something like that.  Otherwise, I try to squeeze in a couple hours when they are at school if I can.


What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I am just about to release the third book in a planned series of five.  The series is called The Delmar Shark Chronicles.  This book is called Involuntary Kings
The book will be released on Amazon on August 16th (which, incidentally, is my birthday. Happy birthday to me!)

Also, my ten-year-old son, Ethan, and I just finished writing a book together.  He was the idea man and illustrator, and I was the typist/editor.  That one is called The Dragon In My Backyard.  It’s a middle grade novel, and as the title page says, it’s funny and exciting.  Ethan has a few more illustrations to do.  Once I get them added in, we should be ready to get it published.  We are shooting for a release before school starts for him on August 19th.


Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have several!  Of course, there are 2 more books planned for The Delmar Shark Chronicles.  The fourth is nearly fully formed in my head.  The fifth is mostly there.  I also have an idea for a contemporary fiction and/or dystopic novel set in Texas, my home state.  I don’t want to say too much about that one though.  Not yet anyway.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Nobody knows what they can do until they just do it.  And you’ll never be good enough if you don’t even try.  There is a lot of rejection in this business, but when you get that 4 or 5 star review, it’s like walking on air.  How will you ever know that feeling if you don’t try? 
***
Thank you, Heidi!

To learn more about Heidi visit:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.