Tuesday, September 2, 2014

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Dylan Murphy from Isola Di Squalo

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.) 

Hi, I’m Dylan Murphy.  I’m originally from Texas, but I recently relocated to an island called Isola di Squalo in the Mediterranean.  I’m pretty tall and thin but muscular.  I’m a swimmer, you know.  I have brown hair that kind of flops around and is kind of messy most of the time.  What do I hope to achieve?  Well, how much space do you have for my answer?  I want to achieve a lot of things.  I guess my number 1 goal has always been to study sharks and help save them.  They get a bad wrap from all the shark movies and stuff, and people kill them because they’re scared of them.  I’d love to see shark populations around the world increase and soon!  And I hope to achieve that with the Delmar Shark Institute, that’s where I work.


What do you like to do in your spare time?  Swim!

What is your favorite color and why?  

Blue, like the color of the ocean.  It’s my favorite color for a lot of reasons.  I love the ocean of course.  And, you know, it’s a pretty awesome eye color.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite? 

I guess pizza.  I like it because you can hold it with one hand.  Plus it tastes good. 

What would you say is your biggest quirk?  

I don’t think I have any quirks. I mean, I like to swim a lot. And OK, so I swim when I’m mad or excited or something.  If you want to call that a quirk. 

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why?  

Well, I had several antagonists in this story.  I guess it depends on which person you’re asking about.  I mean, Terra irked me a lot when we first met.  She was so…you know, like, high and mighty.  Like she was Princess of the World or something.  And she was always just right there, like in my face all the time.  But maybe I’m supposed to talk about Dirk here.  He was just a jerk.  Hey, his name rhymes with jerk!  I never thought of that before!  But it’s appropriate.  He just wanted to destroy everything on the island that I loved.  He was just…well, a jerk.

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life? 

If you had asked me a few months ago, my answer would have been completely different, but Terra means the most to me, absolutely.  I mean, have you read the book?  That’ll tell you what I would do.  I must be nuts, right?

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit? 

I’m not a bad guy, really.  I know I am grumpy for most of the first half of the book, but I’m not normally like that.  Really, I usually get along with just about anybody.  I guess Terra just irritated me so much when we met, I just couldn’t shake it. 

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be? 

I don’t think I’d tell her anything that would change the plot.  I mean, it’s a good story if you ask me.  But one thing I would tell her is that, you know, we characters might like to eat and go to the bathroom a little more often.  We’re people too!

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.  

Why do writers always feel like they have to put us in danger all the time?  I mean, can’t we just have a nice peaceful life?

So you know, even regular writers like myself are sometimes put in danger. And you know, if everything was peaceful all of the time, who would want to read the book you're inside of, huh? There would be nothing exciting to read. Danger is part of life, but it's also a part of plot. Every book needs a bit of danger.

***

Thanks Dylan!

Learn more about Dylan and his author at this interview.

And here: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.