Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Writing During the Christmas Season

Writing during the Christmas season is a little bit like writing while skiing.

I've never been skiing myself, but I've seen plenty of it on television to know that it would be pretty difficult to write with pen and paper, or even pushing the buttons of a laptop, while gliding and then crashing down the slippery slope.



And you know, writing during the Christmas season is a bit like that.

But it doesn't have to be.

I purposely slow things down in December so that I have time to take in the sights, the smells, and the many errands that press upon me. And it's interesting, you know?

Through all of this busyness that occurs every December, I still have moments here and there to write. And I try to use every moment I can.

1. In the evenings instead of watching television.

2. During the morning when the grand kids are at school and the house is peaceful.

3. During awkward times like at stop lights and doctor visits.

4. Have you ever sat in front of the Christmas tree and taken it all in, notebook in hand? Christmas music can spark old as well as new memories; moments that you'd thought to have forgotten.



5. I know I won't have long strips of time this season, because I had few the last. But what I do know is that the season, no matter how I decide to live it, will provide for me hefty material to work on one of my future projects.

And that's ultimately what writing (in any season) is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.