Wednesday, May 13, 2015

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Michelle Thorn from Revelation

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope 
to achieve, etc.)

My name is Michelle Thorn. I’m fifteen years old, I lived with my parents in our home overlooking the ocean on the Oregon coast. We were a pretty typical family, my dad was an auto mechanic, my mom a travel agent, and I was part of the high school team on our way to the state soccer championship. I don’t like bullies, and since I am stronger and faster than the senior boys, I don’t have to, and I don’t have to let them pick on my friends either. The day I ran into Doctor Carlos Safine my life went from, “Wow, hope I do well on my math test,” to “Wow, I hope I live through tomorrow. Now my biggest hope is to someday return to a normal life.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Sports. Soccer, basketball, martial arts, and surfing. That’s what I used to like to do. Nowadays, I’m lucky if I can go for a run. The closest I am able to get to sports is sneaking through the forest, but I do get a lot of time practicing loading, unloading and field-stripping a variety of weapons. And my big, I mean really big friend Wallen is teaching me more than I ever wanted to know about all sorts of military stuff.

What is your favorite color and why?

Green. It’s the color of life. The forest is full of life, and even the air is green when you get deep in the trees.

Get the book at Amazon
What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

Pizza. Because it’s like, the all around food. If I’m feeling down, pineapple and onion. If we just won our soccer game, mushroom and black olive. When I pass the math test I've been stressing over for a week, Greek pizza with feta cheese, red onions, green peppers, and green olives. Oh, and chocolate-chip cookies, because they are the food of the gods, from the time they begin to perfume the house to the time those chocolate chips melt on my tongue, it’s like the sweetest expectation. And they have all your basic food groups, wheat, milk, chocolate, and sugar.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

I don’t deal well with frustration. If I’m frustrated, I’m not going to hide it, you will know if you've done something so ignorant that it irks me. And it won’t be pretty.

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book 
where this irk is manifested.

I believe in fair play, on the soccer field and off. Homeland Security Chief Danson crossed lines that should never be crossed, proving he is anything but fair. “She’s a single mom with a blind daughter. Why does it have to be taken care of? If we kill her, are we any better than Danson or his Homeland Security goons?”

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep
him/her/it in your life?

My parents. Lots of kids at school rag on their parents, some only have a mom or dad. I’m lucky, I have both my parents, and they’re pretty cool. They give me enough freedom to enjoy life, and enough structure to keep me close. I would do anything to keep them in my life.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the
book in which you inhabit?

I’m a team player. I may argue with my teammates, but in the end, we are all on the same team. When I am in a game, the team matters more than individuals. We win or lose as a team, and even though I am faster and stronger than any of my soccer teammates, we agree on a strategy and stick to it. When I decided to join Dr. Safine, I began to see him and the other Newvers as teammates.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of 
the plot, what would it be?

Even more than my team, my family is one of my top priorities. If anyone hurts any member of my family, I will hunt them down and make them pay.

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like 
myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.

Why do readers want us good guys to go through so much pain and suffering, I mean, do we really deserve to be beat up so much?

This is a question I've been asked before, but my answer bears repeating. Characters are just like real people in the sense that they must go through the bad and experience the good. If a book held off in the "pain and suffering" department, the character wouldn't be able to learn and grow, just like a real person wouldn't. 

***
Thank you, Michelle!

Learn more about Michelle and her creator at the following site:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.