Monday, October 12, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Katie Hopmann

1.     Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I studied art at Ouachita Baptist University, a small liberal arts university in Arkansas. While taking a core English class, my professor encouraged me to minor in writing. Soon after, I discovered a passion to write and illustrate Children’s literature.



2.     How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I don’t have a set writing time, but I try to write in a journal daily. Some days my journal entries lead to great ideas. Other days, I am less prolific.

3.     How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

If I have a clean office, with a clear desk, and plenty of time, I am almost paralyzed to write. The best ideas have come at unexpected times. I try to keep a journal with me, but a napkin never fails to do the job. I like to start with handwriting my work first. I sketch in carrots and arrows all over the text, then I’ll type.

4.     What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love the power writing gives me to story tell. Anything can happen! My least favorite thing about writing is fixing grammar and worrying about the technical side of my text. 

Get The King's Invitation here

5.     How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

I was inspired to write a story that would encourage Christians of all ages. It took me a little over a year to complete the book. You can learn more about my inspiration here.

6.     What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

Right now, most of my publicity comes from church/school visits.

7.     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I don’t have a new book out, but I am currently working through the rough stages of and idea that I think could be really special.

8.     Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have had an idea for a counting book that would include baby chicks and motorcycles. I need to find the time to get such fun project rolling!

9.     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Keep writing. Good ideas can turn into great stories when you work hard and are open to critique.

 ***
Thank you, Katie!

Learn more about Katie:


The link to by book's page is:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.