Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Best Response to Criticism about Your Book

I have been writing for many years, and I still get that honest feedback most writers cringe about. I used to get upset for days, throw in the towel, and tell myself, I will never write another word again.

The next week I would try again, the sound of the voice almost as clear inside my head.

By the following week the voice would be gone, and in it's place new things to think about like character, setting and plot.

Who knew?

Through the years I have learned two simple words that most of the time stops the 'perpetrator' in their tracks.


THANK YOU.


You might hate what they've said but say thank you. They might add some additional feedback, feedback you might not have asked for in the first place, but remember to say thank you.

THANK YOU.

I'm hurting right now, YOU THINK TO YOURSELF, but thank you. In a few days I will look at your words again and make a decision on what I'm going to do about them. I will decide if I weed out what you've suggested or keep it. But thank you. You didn't have to say anything. You could have chosen to be silent, you could have chosen never to share with me your thoughts. 

So THANK YOU.

Be prepared for a YOU'RE WELCOME. It usually comes, and sometimes, if you hold out for a bit longer, trying with all of your might not to protect your baby by making excuses for it, you may here something like:

"But I really liked ..."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.