Tuesday, November 22, 2016

What are you doing to keep sane this holiday season?

I couldn't resist writing about this topic today.

After all, we're almost to Thanksgiving, and then the real fun begins!

During the holidays, do you spend time reading a good book, or are you more likely to be racing around the stores for the best buys?

Do you shop online to avoid the rush?

Are you a Scrooge?

Do you love to decorate and spend time in the evening sipping hot cocoa by the fire?



As I thought about the things I do every Christmas season, I was actually surprised at some of the more worthy traditions our family has incorporated, many of which ease the stress of the holidays.

1. Reading children's Christmas books together. I have the opportunity to be with 2 of my 4 grandchildren every Christmas because they live with me. So that means I have ample time to read at night before bed or during the day.

2. I also invite my grandchildren to decorate the tree with me. I play Christmas music and enjoy the excitement that only children can bring.


3. We ususally take a drive and see the Christmas lights, stopping afterward to get scones and hot chocolate at a nearby country store. Unfortunately, this year there will be a little bit of stress choosing another location since our favorite place has closed down.



4. Some of the more practical things I do to turn down the volume, is to wrap my gifts and place them under the Christmas tree right after I've purchased them, rather than spending hours wrapping them on Christmas Eve. 

5. I also choose one Christmas book I'd like to read during the month of December and make sure I get throughit before December 25. This year the book is O Little Town by Don Reid of the Statler Brothers.



What do you do to keep sane?

What are some of your holiday traditions?

I would love to hear!

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.