Wednesday, February 1, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jeremy Maughan

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I have always been interested in telling stories. But never felt that I had enough talent or enough background in english to write. Until one day I just decided to write something for my children. I had a great story idea and wanted something for them to have as a legacy. So, I sat down and wrote my first book for them. After that I knew I could do this and haven’t looked back since.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I’m up at 5:30am every work day. If I don’t schedule the time it just never happens. Having five kids, a full time job and church responsibilities fills my days. So I get up early and write before everyone is clamoring for my time

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?


I’m in front of my desktop pc every morning. I do use my laptop when I am traveling for work. But other then that I sit in the same spot, listen to the same music and type away.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love telling stories. There are hundreds of them rattling around in my head. So many I don’t think I could ever write all of them. I’m always coming up with new ideas. Get me talking about one sometime and I just won't shut up about tit. My wife has learned that it is just better to not ask about them.

My least favorite part is editing a manuscript when I am done. I really do struggle with grammar and having to go back and fix that is so hard for me.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

I come up with book ideas in my quiet moments of the day. I’m always looking at something and trying to figure out how I can tell a story about it. I keep a notebook by the side of my bed and when I am just waking up I often have new ideas. I make sure those all go in my notebook.

It takes me about two months to finish a first draft of a book. After that it is lots of time and work getting it ready for publishing. I have a few books that are written and just need final edits.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

Anything and everything I can. From word of mouth to social media to online paid ads. An author is like a self employed startup CEO, you have to be constantly talking about and pushing your books to be successful.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m currently finishing up a sci fi space opera under a pen name and the finally touches on a YA fantasy novel, that I hope to have out in the next few months.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

Two years ago I wrote a unique and thought provoking short story called “The last hour”. I have wanted to turn that into a full length novel at some point.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

That I don’t think I have any talent for writing. That some of my critics would agree with me on that. But writing isn’t about talent. It is about putting your butt in a chair, your hands on a keyboard and putting it down in a doc. Doing that time and again is what creates a story.  Over time and with practice it becomes something special. Writing “The End” to a story is one of the greatest accomplishments of my life and can only be gotten by doing. So my advice would be to pick a time, put your butt in a chair and write. You will be surprised at what will come out.

***

Learn more about Jeremy at these links:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.