Wednesday, October 18, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Aaliyah .S

Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I’m Aaliyah and I'm from Mumbai, India. I’m 18 years old and I don't think that there was anything in particular that made me start writing. It just happened.

One day I grabbed my iPad and BOOM! the blank page was filled with creative words, which I then posted on Wattpad, where I got really good reviews on my work.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write when I have the time, and I always have time since I dropped out of school at an early age *laughs*. But if I get busy, which I seldom do, I write when the moon is nigh.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or some other method of getting your words down?

I write on my laptop and the best place for me to write is in my room since it's cozy and quiet and the view is amazing. I mostly prefer a laptop to bleed my words.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Favorite part about writing: Being IN the story, feeling the characters feelings and looking through other character’s perspective and getting to know their thoughts.

Least favourite part: Sometimes not knowing where the story is heading and also bringing up new characters.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

It was afternoon, and my sister and I were doing our own things when suddenly I said, “I want to write a book.” I don't know what came over me, but yeah.
It took me about a year to complete my book and an extra month for editing.

Get the eBook at Amazon
What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I mostly use social networking sites, since I'm on a low budget *embarrassing laugh*.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I'm currently writing the second part of my book. Please watch for it.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I would tell them to take that laptop of theirs and just start writing because you may believe that you don’t have enough talent but ask yourself, do you want to just give up on your dreams? You can’t do that. It takes time to bring out the hidden talent in you but it also takes a little ‘believe’ to make it all happen. Ask yourself, why did you start writing in the first place? Because you have that talent! Don’t give up, keep writing and make sure that your book is on that shelf of the person who was waiting for it.

***
 A Question for Kathryn:


Was it difficult to promote your book? If yes, then how did you manage to overcome the difficulties? 

Promoting your book is the difficult part that comes after writing your book. In my yearly updated marketing book, "Marketing Your Book on a Budget," I tell authors: "I've come to the conclusion that nothing worth having comes easy, but that working hard and knowing a few secrets helps to ease the journey along the way."

Working smart comes with working hard. An author must discover what works for them and what doesn't, and then spend that time marketing smart. 

***

Lulu 
Kobo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.